I remember when I was younger being able to run all over the neighborhood and not have my Mom worrying about what could happen to me. The world was a much safer place then, or maybe we just didn't hear about all the awfulness back then like we do now. Oh how I wish we could go back to living in that little bubble of safety.
Not it's not just small children that we need to teach about "Stranger Danger".
We have to adapt new teaching to out teens and young adults.
As out children get older they seek independence from Ole Mom and dad. It is no longer cool to be chaperoned by the "rents".
This is when we must beat into their heads that the world is not a safe place.
Here are some tips to help keep our babies safe, and hopefully lower the chance of something happening to them.
1: Safety in numbers. When going out make sure you have at least 1 other friends with you. NEVER go off alone in a crowded venue. Even if it's to the bathroom or to go outside to get some fresh air. ALWAYS TAKE A BUDDY!!!!!! the Buddy System worked in Kindergarten just as good as it does now.
2: Always let a parent know where you will be and when you will be expected home.
3. Be responsible. Underage drinking is never OK, and you can put yourself in dangerous situations. If you are of age, drink responsibly. Always have a designated driver and at least 1 non drinker per person drinking.
4. Be aware. Make sure you check out your surroundings. If something feels "off" it usually is. Follow your gut and get out of there.
5. Online. This is a big deal. NEVER EVER EVER meet someone you have never meet before online in public alone. Always take a buddy. And if things feel weird get the heck out of Dodge. Always meet in well lit and populated areas. Never give out personal information.
6. If you encounter what seems to be a person with bad motives and you feel threatened scream. Yelling FIRE is super helpful.
7. If your at a store and feel like you are being followed, go to a cashier, security guard, or even a frazzled looking Mom with young children and express your fears.
8. Aerosol hairspray is a great thing to have . Get a small can and keep it in your hand while walking out to your car. If something happens that little can could very well give you time to save your life.
Just remember the world is a scary place.